I love attending home shopping parties. I love the little finger foods, and the glasses of wine. I love meeting new women-- friends of my friends. I love ooh'ing and ahh'ing over exciting new things. I love picking out just one or two things to purchase from my inevitably mile-long list of things I would like. I love helping my friends earn 'host rewards'. I love supporting the small businesses of women (like me) who are out there hauling ass every day to earn a few extra bucks selling everything from plastic food containers, to jewelry, to microfibre cloths, to printed leggings. I love it. I think that the whole thing is just fantastic. Also, I really love spending money. . . Like, love to spend money. It's almost a problem
It's also no secret that I, myself, and am Scentsy Consultant. As someone who is involved in Direct Sales herself, I know how important it is to support and encourage my friends and community members who are out there grinding like I am. We're all in this together, and I really feel like the best way I can encourage friends to buy from me, is by buying from them. We are all just scratching each other's backs, and giving each other high fives.
So naturally when one of my dearest friends said that she was thinking about hosting a Stella and Dot party, my response was , "OHMYGODWHEN!?! I WANT TO COME!"
Stella & Dot's current line up is absolutely fabulous, and choosing just *one or two* things was tough. It's very easy to go into parties like this and go waaaaay overboard. But with a little bit of preparation, you can easily stay on budget, and avoid miserable buyer's remorse::
- Set a budget before you arrive. Deciding, before you arrive, how much you can/are willing to spend will help you stay focused. You will be able to simply avoid looking at things that fall outside of your budget, and focus more on the things that are within budgetary reach.
- Check out the company's website before you show up. Browse their online catalogue. This will help give you a rough idea of what to expect (and will thus help you set a realistic budget), and will also give you some ideas of products that you are interested in, and might like to ask the Consultant specifically about.
- Check out the Sale section of the company's website. Because Sales change so often, Consultants usually don't carry up to date Sale information from one house party to the next. However, assuming the products are still available and haven't sold out by the time the party rolls around, your Consultant can absolutely place orders for Sale items for you!
- Feeling nervous because you won't know many people there? Consider bringing a friend!! Since your friend who is hosting the party gets 'Host rewards' for every sale made at her home-party, it's really in her best interest to have as many shoppers as possible at the party. The more, the merrier! So send a text asking if you can bring a buddy-- I'll bet the answer will be *yes, please do!*
- Ask the Consultant if she has any older stock that she is looking to get rid of. Consultants are constantly buying new stock for demo purposes. After 6 months or so, catalogues change and some stock gets discontinued. Many consultants will be looking to unload their older demo-products to make room for new. If you don't mind purchasing items that are gently used, and from last season, you may be able to get them for up to 50% off!
A week or so before this most recent Stella and Dot party, hosted by my lovely friend Jolene, I sold a few of my lesser-worn pieces of Lululemon clothing online. Lululemon is terribly expensive brand new, but holds it's value remarkably well if you take care of it. I was able to sell 2 sweaters and a pair of yoga-pants for $120. Getting back about 40% of what I paid for them 4+ years ago. Not bad. And so, with that, I went into my friend's Stella and Dot part with a budget of about $120.
There were tons of things I was drooling over (of course), but what stood out the most was the 'Crosby Hobo Bag' in the 'Geo Tile' print. At $129 it was right around my budget. Taxes and shipping of course put it slightly over, but I am not one to stress too much about a few extra dollars (something my husband hates heheeee) Stella and Dot's shipping is super quick, and by 1 week after the party, the mailman was dropping a big, beautiful box off on my front step.
I am completely smitten with this gorgeous bag!! From it's charming chevron-type print, to it's leather detailing, so it's spacious interior and fabulous zippered inner pockets... It really is just the perfect spring/summer bag!
And the fact that 90% of it's cost was covered by my sale of items of clothing that were just sitting, unworn, in my closet for the past 2 years? Well, it feels like I got it for almost free! And that's the best feeling of all!
I hope that my tips and tricks help you prepare for your next home-shopping party experience!